Parajunkee has set up a New Year’s Challenge and has questions set over 14 days and I will try and answer as many as possible
BOOK BLOGGER PET PEEVES
(This is supposed to be a top 10, but let’s see how we do here)
- Writers who dont pay attention to me as a reviewer (e.g. when I say “Being from outside the US, I cant download from x, I wont be taking this forward…” then get a reply to that very email a week later going “please read and review my book!” and providing a single link that directs me to the very website I’ve said I cant download from. That will be a definite “no”)
- Writers who ask for a free review, then send me one link to their book, where I can buy it – at full price! Again a “No”
- Publishers who release ebooks for review – with appalling formatting (fonts too small, 4 different fonts on the same page, odd cApItAlIsAtIoN, random page breaks). Some publishers release lovely pre-release ebooks to reviewers – why can’t all? I’ve had to stop reading a couple precisely because of the formatting resulting with the books getting a “Did Not Finish”
- Adobe Digital Editions, especially when combined with an archive/expiry date. Now I know there are two sides to this, and some publishers and authors believe this is the best and/or only way to protect their works. My take is that it’s a pain in the arse, and I will do everything to avoid reading and reviewing a book with an ADE expiry date. You dont trust me? Fine. There are plenty of other books in the world who want my attention and review.
- Unreadable blogs. As someone with continuing sight problems, I struggle to read certain blogs. White, red or blue text on black background; brown text on brown background; small font; random or unusual font to make the blog “stand out”; adverts all over the page (making in hard to find the actual blog post); autoplay videos or background music; pages overladen with large photos or animated gifs – need I go on?
- Where I have to go through hoops to leave a comment on a blog, worse when it is more than a sentence long and the blogger has been saying something interesting. Having to log in 4 times using 3 different user names and passwords, THEN type in a captua code, THEN have my comment disappear into the ether never to be seen again. Or try to login with my wordpress id then be forced to create a DISCUS id, even when I don’t want to. That stops me from commenting and will stop me from following a person’s blog.
And I’ve found another one!
- Auto play videos and music. I know many people are now on broadband, and dont remember what it was like on dial-up where videos slow down the loading of a page. BUT if I’m going to hit a front page several times (e.g. cos I want to follow through on the comments on a page), the last thing I want is to have that video kicking off each and every time I load the page. Have the video, fine, but not on auto play, please!