Parajunkee is having a “Back to School Book Blogger Challenge“, and has some prompts between now and August 28th for people to join in!
If you are a parent, or have advice for parents….What would you do (or think would work) to foster a love of reading in your kids?
I dont have children of my own, but understand that children copy from those around them so I suggest the following:
- read age appropriate stories to children from an early age
- buy books for each child and keep the books within easy access
- let children see adults reading (it doesnt matter what) – if they see it’s something the big people do too
- listen to a child read back to you, be it from one of their own books, or something they’ve written themselves
- let them read books in different formats – picture books, plain narratives, comics (whatever works best for them)
Anything else I’ve missed off?