It’s now traditional for me to set goals at the beginning of the year, then reflect how I’ve done by the end. TL;DR, I’ve not met my goals – Again! At the time of writing (1am 29th December), I’m considering not doing goals for 2022, and certainly not so aggressive if I do.
- Increase subscribers to this blog to 1000, excluding twitter followers.
Update: whilst I’ve increased by a few, I’m certainly not at 1000
- Increase annual page hits to this blog (to 7500)
Update: I dropped numbers to somewhere between 2017 and 2018 numbers. You may be able to spot why later!
- Increase twitter followers to @brumnordie (to 800)
Update: Oh so close at 797!
- Read and review 20 books. 50% to be paperbooks or audiobooks.
Update: I read and reviewed about 14 books, with not quite a 50% rate on the audiobooks, but it’s still a work in progress
- Get my Netgalley ratio into the 72% range (from 66%).
Update: I’ve read one or two Netgalley books this year, have not requested any new ones, but not managed to improve my ratio by much
- To aid in reading the books that I already have there will be a moratorium on requesting books from Netgalley or LibraryThing, and reviewing books I already have,
Update: I didn’t request any, but I did purchase some from the bookstore! Only one new audiobook has been listened to
- Make better use of twitter, including the analytics, scheduling content.
Update: one day I may allow someone else to look over my numbers. Maybe. My scheduling software has changed a number of times, so it can be a tad difficult to get things set up, but I’ve found some workarounds
- Take part in twitter chats such as #ContentHour, #BrumHour
Update: I’ve lost some followers by not engaging enough, but have picked up more, mainly by engaging more. In the new year, I should be taking part in at least one reading challenge, and do it beyond December/January!
- Make use of scheduling and planning software
Update: I’ve changed my schedule software around a little in the effort to make some stuff more visible. There does seem to be a bug/”feature” in my scheduling software that makes auto scheduling books more difficult, but I may well have found a workaround for that
- Release more books via Bookcrossing, either in OBCZs or via RABCKs.
Update: with the travel restrictions being eased a little, I’ve been able to release more books at local OBCZs. It’s certainly helped in lightening the load a little! For a second year running, the Country wide Bookcrossing event has had to be cancelled – boo! It does mean that not many books escaped, but it also means that not many books came into the house, neither!
As for my previous comment about blog view:
- I’m simply not reading (and therefore reviewing) books at quite the same level as before. However, my twitter feed has still be reminding my followers of posts (especially the older ones!) and many are still getting views
- Putting out my themed tweets, whilst having a targeted framework and timescale, also has made me realise that perhaps I need new content. (NO!). Therefore I need to read and review some more stuff.
- I’m aware that to ensure that people know the blog is not technically dead, I’ve tried to be creative in some non review related posts. This is just one of them.
- I’ve officially retired the ‘Blog prompt’ post that’s been lurking around for years. I may well have some of the prompts lying around….somewhere…..but if I’ve not written something for it yet, it wont be happening soon!